At Trengo, there are two ways you can reach your customers with an SMS.
- One-way SMS
This is a non-reply SMS. The receiver won't be able to respond to your SMS. The one-way SMS method is mainly used for important updates or news.
- Two-way SMS
Send and receive SMS messages using a Two-Way SMS channel.
Adding a one-way SMS channel to your Trengo inbox.
Be aware that not due to national or local legislation the use of a One-Way SMS channel may not be allowed in your country. A list of countries which do not support One-Way SMS can be found within the settings of the SMS channel.
To send out SMS, you can now start a new conversation and select SMS as the sender.
Note: should your customers try to respond to your SMS, they will receive an error message depending on their operating system.
Adding a two-way SMS channel to your Trengo inbox.
With the two-ways SMS channel, you can send and receive messages from and in Trengo.
To add the two-way SMS to your Trengo inbox:
- Go to your settings >channels >SMS
- Click on the green + sign to add SMS to your Trengo inbox and choose if you wish to add your own Twilio account or want to work with Trengo directly.
Note: some countries require to add extra information before a number can be purchased. In those cases you won't be able to use our Trengo account.
- Fill out the form.
- Internal name
The name is for internal purposes only.
Assign the team(s) that'll be responsible for your two-way SMS channel.
- SMS settings
Type: Make sure you select 'Two-way (send & receive)' as your SMS type.
Country: Select the country.
Prefix: Assign a prefix if applicable.
Toll free: Decide if you want a toll free number. Toll-free numbers are not available in all countries and there might be additional fees charged to your account.
Phone number: Here you get to pick your phone number.
Address: Fill out your address and accept the monthly recurring costs.
- Create channel
Click on 'Create channel' to add the two-way SMS method to your Trengo inbox.
- Internal name
From now on, your customers can also reach you via SMS. All SMS conversations can now be received and answered in your Trengo inbox.
- Next, assign the teams responsible for all incoming SMS conversations.
- Assign a color to your SMS channel.
- Select the notification sound once an SMS conversation enters your Trengo inbox.
- Set your channel availability but selecting the right business hours.
- Insert your email if you'd like to be notified once a SMS conversation enters your Trengo inbox.
Awesome. You're good to go.
Useful: Learn how to set up auto-replies for your SMS channel.