After being approved by WhatsApp Business, you will have a Whatsapp Business account, but this is not an official Business account yet. Official Business accounts will get the green check behind their name. A Business Account is shown in the account information like the picture on the left. Besides, when a customer initiates a conversation, or when you send one yourself, there will always be an announcement to the customer:
When the Business account gets the status "official" this will also be shown in these messages.
Type of business account account
If you choose to use WhatsApp via Trengo, you use WhatsApp Business API. By default, every account that uses WhatsApp Business API is a business account. However, an account can also be verified by WhatsApp. Then it is seen as a verified WhatsApp account. The added value of this is, among other things, that a green tick is displayed with the account and that the company name is displayed by default instead of the telephone number.
It is important to know that WhatsApp only approves a few companies for this. The official guidelines for approval are not public. While WhatsApp guidelines aren't public, there are presumed criteria WhatsApp looks at:
Company size: larger organizations are more likely to be verified than smaller organizations
- External branding: you have already built up brand awareness
- You have a WhatsApp Business account
- You have a verified Facebook Business account
- You have been using WhatsApp Business API for 3 months
How to apply?
If you want to apply for an Official Business Account you will need:
- 2-factor verification enabled on the WhatsApp Client (Our business partner will take care of this step)
- Valid Facebook Business ID with verified business.
- A brand that doesn't violate WhatsApp's policies, especially its Commerce Policy.
- Have at least 1.000 conversations with different customers per day.
There might be other internal criteria or standards which is not publicly shared by WhatsApp.
We also recommend the following to increase the chance of getting promoted:
- It's always good if there is some ad spend on Facebook.
- You should have a large following on Facebook (and Instagram) which indicates brand awareness. Example: 10K+ likes/followers on your Facebook or Instagram pages.
More information can be found on the Official Facebook Documentation.
If you wish to apply, please reach out to the support of 360dialog to forward your request to Whatsapp Business. From there on, they will keep you up to date about your request.